Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I wish I could draw stuff for money


For a long period of time I was thinking to myself; "I wish I could draw stuff for money."
There was mainly two things in particular I wanted to do, Tattooing and/or Digital Art of some sorts.
Tattooing wasn't the easiest thing to just start with, and I sure as hell wouldn't be a scratcher!
So I bought a tablet and decided that digital art was what I could do just straight away!
I started watching tons of other guys and girls make insanely good art, my expectations were sky-high,
and some even made tutorials that I thought I could follow for fast learning.

I was wrong.

The first stuff I made was absolute shit!

Most people give up at this stage, it just doesn't look the way it looks inside your head.
But I just kept at it, although I knew nothing about photoshop or design in general.
With no structure to the approach, it took a really long time to learn how stuff worked.
It actually took so long, that my drawing skills in general didn't get any attention.
It was all about digital art and getting good at it...

Then one day, a friend of mine pointed out I needed to draw more... and draw alot from real life!

And so I did.

Eventually I had filled up a portfolio and since digital art already was at a pause,
I started looking around for an apprenticeship as a tattoo artist.

No luck.

So I got back into Digital art!
This time it worked out a little better since I had been drawing alot on paper,
But I still didn't get any work...
Until I changed the way I think! I went from "I wish I could" to "I am going to!".

And shortly after, someone called me and wanted me to design an album cover!
The band was http://www.dienamic.no/ . And here is the 2 illustrations I made for them:

"Surfing The Apocalypse"



After I had finished these I was on a roll! A new barrier was breached. sortof a level up.
Ready to tackle new challenges and get my work out to the world, I was put in a new situation.

I got an apprenticeship!

The shop is called Lowlife tattoo  http://lowlifetattoo.com/  and is located in Trondheim.
Here I will be working and learning new stuff with two awesome people; Roger and Izzy!
Stop by if you're in the area.
=D



This was the short, very loose story and I am by no means an expert at anything yet,
But I feel that I'm on the right track!


And to all of you who have a dream;

Keep at it! Don't let anyone convince you that YOUR dream is impossible! Work hard and aim for the sky!
The universe will present an opportunity for you, Be ready for it!

!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment